Brief description of the Fundação Oriente/Museu do Oriente: Fundação Oriente, a private Portuguese institution, was founded in 1988 with the objective of strengthening and deepening the historical and cultural bonds between Portugal and countries in the Far East. To this end, the Foundation engages in and supports educational, cultural, artistic and social activities. With its headquarters in Lisbon, the organization runs delegations in India, Macau and Timor. In 2008, the Fundação Oriente opened its Museu do Oriente, one of its highest projects, and ensuring the Foundation represents a critical link in the cultural bridge between the West and the East.
Description of the area where the student will be and what he’s going to do Collections and exhibitions
- the Museum reserves: organization of the museological objects, packing and unpacking of artworks, materials, preventive conservation, inventory, transport, study and research of an artwork or group of artworks from the collections (Portuguese Presence in Asia and Kwok On);
- production of exhibitions: the students will help the staff organizing exhibitions taking place during their stay (contact with the artists, organization of the space, give technical support to layout conception, set up and dismantle of exhibitions, packing and un packing of artworks, facility reports, condition reports);
- Workshops with children or adults: support the staff, planning different workshops and seminars (logistic support, preparation of the materials, suggestions for activities);
- Guided Tours: to support and help the staff in preparing and organizing the tours and also guiding tours themselves.
Skills that the student should have: the work of Museu Oriente is very diversified and have a large variety of activities and opportunities for different individuals with various interests and abilities. The student should have interest and some knowledge about Asian cultures (about countries like India, Sri Lanka, China, Japan or Timor).
- - self-motivated, willing to take on new challenges for his personal and professional life;
- - dynamic, versatile, good mood, flexible, with self-initiative, adaptability;
- - Creative and interested in working with people.
- - Enthusiastic to participate in the project;
Portuguese Language skills: Yes
Number of scholarships: one
MUSEU DE LISBOA
Casa Fernando Pessoa – Youth Summer Programs Internships
The CASA FERNANDO PESSOA lived in this typical Lisbon home during the last 15 years of his life (1920-35). It is located in the beautiful old traditional neighbourhood of Campo de Ourique, near the Jardim da Estrela, where many statues relate Portuguese history. The Casa Fernando Pessoa is a hub for many cultural activities in Lisbon, and in it people can visit the famous poet’s room, and see the desk where he created most of his masterpieces.
This placement will accept two internsin July and August.
Work responsibilities: The two interns will work with the teams that organize summer activities. These teams start working on June 25th and the activities end on August 31. Activities will be prepared for individual youth as well as for groups of children of different ages, from 6 to 12 years old. Report at 9 am and end at around 5 pm. It starts at 9 (when children arrive) and end at 5 pm. Children will be ages 6 – 12. Apart from running other activities for the children, the interns will focus on two programs:
- Statues Will Tell Stories: this program involves taking the children to the Jardim da Estrela and work with and around the several statues that tell about Portuguese history.
- Paper Ivy: During this week-long program, children will discover the Jardim da Estrela Park through its trees and leaves, its barks, textures, noises, stories and characters that will be revealed to them as they follow the lead of Pessoa’s poems and writings exploring the park.
- Required interns profile: enjoying working which children and young people; Ready to take initiative and be flexible as these are new programs and attendance will vary, as well as the objectives of each program; Good communicators; Enjoying arts and writing; basic knowledge of Portuguese (spoken and written.)
MUSEU DE LISBOA – Palácio Pimenta and Museu de Sto António - Youth Summer Programming and City Festivities Internships
The Museu de Lisboa is the new name of the old Museu da Cidade. It now encompasses five locations: Palácio Pimenta, Teatro Romano, Santo António, Torreão Poente e Casa dos Bicos. Five very different spaces, with complementing missions and activities, the vision of the new conglomerate of museums is to reveal Lisbon from different perspectives, in a variety of different formats, and to disseminate to the public the culture and wealth of one of the oldest cities of Europe.
This placement will accept two interns in July and August.
Work responsibilities: The two interns will work in the Museu de Lisboa-Palacio Pimenta on a regular basis, and at the Museu de Lisboa-Santo Antonio during the event planning for the city festivities. Interns will work with the Education team of the Museum, in the summer programming for children and youth. This will involve special programming in coordination with the municipality of Lisbon and the on-going summer programs that take place Monday through Friday for children ages 6 – 12. Interns will help to prepare materials, welcome the children and assist in the activities. They will also participate in the organization of the summer ball for the Museo de Lisboa and of the event that Museum will organize for the city festivities of Saint Anthony, patron of Lisbon, on August 15th. This is a day when the whole city celebrates “Santo Antonio” through the streets, during the day and night, and the Museo de Lisboa will participate in several events.
Recommended profile of interns: Good communicators, flexible and willing to take initiative, enjoy working with children ages 6 – 12, work well in teams, attention to detail, enjoy event production and creativity. Basic knowledge of Portuguese.
MUSEU DE LISBOA - Teatro Romano
This is an on-site museum, located in the historic area of the city; this site of the Museum of Lisbon aims to reveal what used to be one of the most important monuments of the city of Olisipo. The museum is set inside two buildings from different eras, one from the eighteenth century and the other from the beginning of the nineteenth, an example of industrial architecture, which used to house a printing press and a leather bag factory. The building was renovated and adapted to host the Museum of Lisbon – Roman Theatre. The site has a long-term exhibition and is an archaeological dig sit
This placement will accept two interns in July and August.
Working days: Tuesday to Saturday. Report at 11:00 am and end at 7:00 pm (negotiable).
Work responsibilities: Cultural mediation - After specific training, take care of tourists and conduct guided tours of the ruins and the Museum. Study the itineraries of the tourists and suggest new ways of inscribing the passage through the ruins on the map of places to visit
Profile - ease of communication and relationship with people of various ages and cultures, good listening skills and analysis of work context and initiative. Knowledge of Portuguese and French (if possible).
SÃO NICOLAU PARISH
Mission: The Parish Church St. Nicholas is at the service of the mission of being the presence of the Catholic Church in the Lower Lisbon. In the fulfilment of its mission, none of the dimensions of the human person should be absent, from the love of the neighbour translated into life and social work to the fruition and transmission of the richness of our cultural heritage.
Job description: Activities to support the Preservation and Disclosure of Historic Heritage:
- Library: Computerization of the historical library of the Parish. Classification, indexing and standardized computerization in database of existing books 1900-2000. Placing of labels and orderly storage of same
- Archive: Computerization of the historical archive of the Parish. Reading of the documents XVII to XX. Description of the documents according to the classification plan.
- Religious tourism: take guided tours to churches and places of tourist and religious interest in downtown Lisbon. Collaborate in the organization of tourist events such as music concerts.
- Collaborate on the site of religious tourism.
What you need:
- Library - Have a medium level of knowledge of the Portuguese language, adapt to bibliographic databases. To like to work with books.
- Archive - Master the Portuguese language, adapt to work in archive database. Like to work with old documents.
- Tourism: Have an average level of knowledge of the Portuguese language. Enjoy collaborating in updating information and organizing events. Enjoy preparing and taking guided tours.
Number of interns: 10